Monday, October 1, 2007

An Important Announcement from Treasurer John Kennedy...

Does this qualify as good news? I am deciding that it does. Not so much as why he is changing. I figure he's probably changing because it's a good bet the state democrats are going to take a beating. And they should.

But I digress. The news today is the State Treasurer John Kennedy is switching from democrat to republican.

Your support and friendship are very important to me. I have always tried to tell you where I stand and what I stand for. That’s why I’m writing this letter.

I have decided to join the Republican Party. I wanted you to be among the first to know, and to hear it from me. It has been an honor to serve as your State Treasurer and I will seek my third term this October as a Republican.

He says he is converting due to his beliefs.
I believe in certain fixed, bedrock principles: that government should be responsive and accountable to the taxpayers who pay for it; that economic growth originates in the private sector; that education is the best safeguard of liberty; that ethics in government is critical to people’s faith in democracy; that the values of faith, work, family, personal responsibility and individual liberty are the building blocks of a prosperous society. I have concluded that the Republican Party is the party that best reflects my values today.

I also believe in the power of ideas. Every advancement in art, science, technology, business, cooking and medicine has occurred only after someone challenged the rules and tried another way. My career in public service demonstrates my belief in the power of looking for a better way. For the past several years, it has increasingly been the case that those public servants who have embraced my ideas and my philosophy of trying new approaches are primarily Republicans. I am grateful for their support and their willingness to try something different. I also believe for this reason it is time to join the Republican Party.

That's fine with me. What struck a chord with me was his comments about what he sees Louisiana as needing and what it needs to become.
Finally, I believe that Louisiana state government needs to change. It has to change. And it must change now. Otherwise, Louisiana will become a place our children visit when they come see us at Christmas, instead of a place they can live, prosper and raise their own families. I feel I can best contribute to that change as a Republican.

I am one of those people who don't care what political party someone is in. I tend to lean republican but over the last few years, I have become mostly disgusted by all politicians. If switching parties will make Kennedy feel that he can help make Louisiana a place where people can "live, prosper and raise their own families" (which I don't believe is the case right now), then I am all for it.

No comments: